Monday, April 18, 2005

My very first Battle

On Friday 8th April, is my first day wearing a bougu (Kendo Armor). I have joined Kendo for almost 2 ½ month only they allow me to wear an armor. The first few session, I have to relearn the basic. In my mind, I thought that “Nah. I have learned Kenjutsu for more then ½ year, I can do better then them :p”. Well the first few session, my collogues were impress on my skill as a beginner. Most of the students don’t even know how to properly hold a shinai(bamboo sword). Also, there are the footsteps which all practice must follow. I can do that with ease because I have done it before.

Both Kenjutsu and Kendo is not the same as I have realized. Kenjutsu, Ken=sword, jutsu=art means Art of the Sword. While Ken=Sword, Do=Way, means Way of The Sword. Kenjutsu is practiced by the ancient samurai pre-date the Meiji Restoration. It is practiced to kill an opponent. There was no grading like what Kendo did. Also, Kenjutsu preserved the original Japanese art of war. Kenjutsu is practiced with a bokken(wooden sword) or katana(steel sword) rather then shinai(bamboo sword) because the technique thought doesn’t work on shinai. This is because Kenjutsu is learning the art of cutting it enemy, not striking it enemy which Kendo did. Kenjutsu training largely consists of practising cutting technique and performing partner kata. For safety reasons, free-sparring is seldom practised with bokken or katana.

While Kendo is different, it is more like a competition based art. You have to wear a bougu which protects the head, throat, wrists and abdomen; these are the only legal targets. Although it is a free-sparring, you still need to follow the rules of striking. You can’t hit other unprotected part of the body. The first time I hold a shinai, I felt so weird because the length is much longer and the hilt is also longer then usual. I got one friend who wanna learn Kendo with me, her name Siska. She is more funny because since she is not tall enough ^_^, the shinai she hold is as tall as her…hahahahahaha. Nah, she is just 1 head taller then the shinai…still look weird ;p hahhaha. Anyway, although I have learned Kenjutsu back in Malaysia, still those techniques are mostly cannot be applied in here. Only the stepping and sword holding. And one more techniques which Sensei Arifin always used on me when I always cross my sword over the distance. It is useful but I am not fast enough. Still, I have to learn the basic like hitting the head, wrist, abdomen and some Kendo kata. I was so happy when finally Sensei Darren said “Next week, you get an armour”. Hahaha finally I can whack them :p.

Well, I am so ashamed that I dunno how to wear armour at all, luckily some friend helped to equip me. Well, I was so shock that when they hit my head, I felt the pain as if a stick is whacking me. I thought the armour supposed to protect me. I felt abit dizzy during the training. I was thinking “I wanna quit…”. Last few session was so shiok whacking their head and now I feel the karma…darn. Later, I learn to move my head tilt abit up, the shinai blow will land at my mask rather then my head. The mask is much more resistant compared to the upper head. Then ahh…finally I can feel it.

After the training, as usual, the free spar will commence. The Kendoka(Kendo people like me) will form a circle and 2 of any Kendoka will go into the circle and spar. Everyone will be the judge. If the blow land to the wrist, we shout it and the winner stays and the other will replace the loser. I was so scared to go but the other keep on insist that I go the next round. But I am smart as well :p, I wait till the junior level went in only I went in :p. Well, next battle was a junior like me. He is quite good in skills but not in rules. I fought him. Usually, the battle are like this.

-Both strike, you will win if your blow hit his area and his blow miss u. Or both blow miss or both blow hit, mostly we will go front and lock each other, and step back. Or I strike faster before he even commence.

The first battle, he keep on attacking me without even giving me space to go back, distance is important, until the sensei shouted “Yame(stop)” and ask him to keep his distance, not killing me :p. Then the next fight, I won when I strike more faster then him at the chest. The next opponent was the senior rank Kendoka. But he was easy…The first strike I landed at his chest before he even strike me. I was thinking, damn lucky I was :p. The third opponent, I forgot who it was but I manage to defeat him when I strike his arm, I think he was another senior as well. But the last I will always remember. She was a junior rank but more senior compared to me. Our strike mostly draw. I was so exhausted, I wanted to win by both draw and both are replaced :p. But too bad, I lose when she strike at my wrist before I can do anything. I lost to a girl…>.<

After a few round, I re-enter to the circle and challenge the senior again. But too bad, I lost this time. My blow miss and he hit my wrist. Battle conclude. But my head is spinning after been hit so many times at the upper head, broken toe nail and leg ache. Also, every fight, we have to shout out which I known as “Ki-Ai”. I dunno what that is but if I dun shout…people will tell me “use ur Ki-Ai”. So, Kendo is very exhausting…Looking forward for my next battle: p.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home